Senior Director, Government RelationsRead More
The senior director of government relations is responsible for leading aspects of AGA’s engagement on state policy discussions. This includes actively monitoring all legislative activity that may impact the casino gaming industry, working under the guidance of the vice president of government affairs to identify areas where the association can engage in support of favorable state policies, and leveraging AGA research to accurately inform casino expansion discussions. The senior director will provide timely, accurate information regarding state legislative developments to both AGA staff as well as key external stakeholders, such as member company representatives, regulators, and third-party allies, among others. He/she will work collaboratively with other members of the public affairs team on AGA efforts to build and maintain relationships with key state legislators and U.S. gaming regulators to develop and implement statutory and regulatory change that fosters growth within the industry. As needed, the senior director will also leverage his/her expertise and relationships to help support AGA’s federal government affairs goals – including direct lobbying on Capitol Hill. The senior director reports directly to the vice president of government relations.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Keep apprised of all state policy trends that impact the gaming industry and actively disseminate important updates to internal and external stakeholders.
- Work closely with VP of strategic communications to develop and execute communications plans that promote informed discussions about state casino gaming expansion.
- Work with senior public affairs team on new and creative ideas for research projects that will help drive positive legislative and regulatory outcomes in the states.
- Work in partnership with communications staff to ensure industry data, statistics and research are leveraged to effectively drive favorable perceptions of the gaming industry among state policymakers and regulators.
- Assist in relationship building with national state and regulatory associations in support of AGA’s public policy objectives.
- Assist in managing any consultants and vendors providing state legislative and/or regulatory services to the association.
- Work in partnership and manage relationships, where applicable, with state gaming associations.
- Work with other members of the Public Affairs team to manage, engage and drive AGA’s Next Generation Gaming Task Force to develop regulatory recommendations that promote growth, innovation and modernization of U.S. gaming regulations.
- Support vice president in helping drive consensus among AGA’s members on state gaming policy and develop tactical plans to achieve results.
Experience & Education:
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience with a history of progressive achievement and advancement.
- Bachelor’s degree required – preferably in the fields of political science, public policy or communications.
- An advanced degree, experience in the commercial casino industry, trade associations or similar advocacy organizations is a
- Track record of high integrity, good judgment, confidentiality, and
- Excellent research, writing, editing, proofreading, presentation and interpersonal skills, with strong attention to
- Strong data and analytical skills including the ability to present complex data in terms non-specialized audiences can
- Exceptional interpersonal skills around consensus building and relationship
- Superior verbal and written communication
- Ability to think creatively and
- Team player who thrives in a high-energy, multifaceted and collaborative work environment.
- Ability to work independently to problem solve and self-starter, takes
- Effortlessly adjust to changes in priorities, and balance short-term deliverables with long- term strategic goals while producing a high-caliber work
- Superior project management, organization skills and attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc)
Manager, Strategic CommunicationsRead More
As a member of the public affairs team, the Manager, Strategic Communications provides tactical support to the communication team, with a particular focus on member communication and social and digital engagement. Responsibilities/topic areas include but aren’t limited to media relations, Association event support, Get to Know Gaming, vendor management and general team support. Reporting to the Senior Director, Strategic Communications, the Manager will work closely with the entire AGA team (government relations, industry services, research, etc.) to develop integrated strategies to promote the social and economic value, and the overall reputation of the U.S. casino gaming industry.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Initial content development/drafting including media materials, industry communications, presentations, collateral materials and more;
- Maintain AGA social and digital media assets, including drafting and updating content;
- Help grow AGA social media presence on existing and new channels;
- Support AGA’s events logistics;
- Provide ongoing support to communication, research and public affairs team; and
- Ensure focus on delivering value for AGA members.
Experience & Education:
- Bachelor’s degree required – preferably in the fields of communication, political science or public policy
- Two or more years’ experience supporting communication function at membership organization or communication consultancy
- Professional experience in social/digital media required
- Experience in the casino gaming industry a plus
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading abilities
- Strong attention to detail
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including the ability to build and maintain strong internal and external relationships
- Strong project management skills including the ability to effectively work with vendor/partners
- Able to prioritize the “critical few” and meet or exceed goals regularly. Is persistent and finds ways to overcome obstacles
- Team player who thrives in a high-energy, multi-faceted and collaborative workplace