This interactive map highlights the state and local impacts of commercial casinos across the United States.* The impact of the industry is truly national in scope. This map highlights direct, indirect and induced impacts in the 22 commercial casino states, along with the diffuse impacts the industry generates throughout the rest of the economy.
- Direct economic impacts refer to those generated by consumer spending on gambling, food and beverage, hotel stays and other products and services at the casino property.
- Indirect impacts refer to those generated by casino spending through the supply chain.
- Induced impacts refer to those generated by casino and industry supplier employee spending throughout the economy.
- Diffuse national impacts refer to those generated outside the 22 commercial casino states that are too broadly dispersed to be attributed to individual states. These impacts are generated by casino purchases from industry suppliers and employee spending in states across the country where no commercial casinos are present.
- Diffuse state impacts refer to those generated within an individual state but outside of counties in the “catchment area” where the most significant impacts are felt. These impacts are too broadly dispersed throughout the state to be assigned to a specific county.
- Catchment area refers to the county where the casino property is located along with the surrounding areas in which it generates the most concentrated economic activity.
*Based on 2010 economic impact data from the report “Beyond the Casino Floor: Economic Impacts of the Commercial Casino Industry.” Individual map data points may not add up exactly to totals due to rounding.
|Commercial Casino State|
|Casino Catchment Area
(zoom in to view)
Total National Impacts
- Direct Economic Impact: $49,730,601,087
- Indirect Economic Impact: $31,018,311,450
- Induced Economic Impact: $44,940,686,377
Total Economic Impact: $125,689,598,915
- Direct Employment: 346,272
- Indirect Employment: 178,608
- Induced Employment: 294,127
Total Employment: 819,007
- Direct Labor Income: $14,490,443,424
- Indirect Labor Income: $10,476,906,828
- Induced Labor Income: $14,170,708,803
Total Labor Income: $39,138,059,055
- Total Federal Taxes: $8,981,594,419
- Total State and Local Taxes: $8,394,044,836
- Total Gaming Taxes: $7,593,020,000
Total Taxes: $24,968,659,255
Using the Map
Use your mouse to roll across the map for state-specific data, and click for more details on individual states. Use the zoom feature to highlight select county-level impacts in casino host counties and surrounding areas where the most significant impacts are felt.
Rolling over non-highlighted areas on the map will reveal diffuse impacts that are spread more evenly throughout the national and individual state economies.