WASHINGTON – Recently, the American Gaming Association (AGA) honored five outstanding gaming suppliers from across the country with the Diverse Vendor of the Year Award. The awards were presented during the Congressional Black Caucus Political Education and Leadership Institute’s TUNICA 2011 Mississippi Policy Conference in August.
“The winners of the Diverse Vendor of the Year Awards have been chosen for varying reasons, but they all have at least one thing in common – their dedication and commitment to excellence are part of what makes the gaming industry thrive,” said Frank J. Fahrenkopf, president and CEO of the AGA. “They are prime examples of the excellent local suppliers that work with gaming companies every day and proof that the industry’s commitment to diversity and economic development extends to all corners of our host communities.”
For the third year, the AGA Diverse Vendor of the Year Awards offered AGA members the opportunity to honor top minority, woman and disadvantaged business enterprises (MWDBEs) doing business with the gaming industry. Individual AGA member companies nominated the winners, and due to the varied nature of vendor-supplier relationships, determined their own selection criteria for each honoree.
The five companies honored include:
- It’s Promo Time is a woman-owned business out of Slidell. La. that was honored by Isle of Capri Casinos, Inc. for its work providing promotional products, special event gifts and custom-made items for player development and marketing efforts.
- MGM Resorts International nominated Premier Label Water Company, a minority-owned business from Las Vegas, Nev., that has been supplying private-label bottled water for MGM properties since 1992.
- S&J Lawn Service, a Mississippi-based, minority-owned company, provides landscaping services for resort casinos owned and operated by Caesars Entertainment, which honored S&J Lawn Service with the award.
- Scavuzzo’s Food Service, Inc. is a woman-owned business located in Kansas City, Mo., that provides premium meats to casino properties and was selected for the award by Ameristar Casinos, Inc.
- Signet, Inc. was chosen for the Diverse Vendor of the Year Award by Boyd Gaming Corporation. The Memphis, Tenn.-based Signet provides Sam’s Town Tunica Hotel & Casino with logo merchandise and event planning services.
After the awards were presented, the award-winning suppliers took part in a roundtable discussion during which they shared their experiences working with gaming companies and offered guidance to other diverse businesses interested in supplying the gaming industry.
The AGA represents the commercial casino-entertainment industry by addressing federal legislative and regulatory issues. The association also serves as a clearinghouse for information, develops educational and advocacy programs, and provides leadership on industry-related issues of public concern. To follow the AGA on Facebook, visit www.facebook.com/americangaming; for Twitter, go to www.twitter.com/AmerGamingAssn.