Rigorous and effective regulation is a hallmark of the gaming industry. In fact, a strong regulatory environment is essential to maintaining the integrity of the business.
However, advances in technology and the corporatization and globalization of the gaming industry have changed the business. Technology has also changed the tools available to regulators. Unfortunately, regulations have not kept pace with these developments. Many regulations that may have made sense when they were first adopted are no longer practical or effective at meeting their intended aim.
In order to stay on top of the rapidly evolving technology embraced by our industry, as well as to minimize redundancies and capitalize on business trends, the American Gaming Association (AGA) continues to discuss and review regulation. The AGA recently commissioned and released a white paper detailing 10 broad-based reforms, and advancing these reforms is one of its key priorities.
These recommendations will allow businesses and regulators to better adapt to evolving technology. They will improve access to financing and help the industry better respond to changing market conditions. They will allow and encourage increased industry innovation. And they will free regulators and licensees from processes that no longer meet needs. They will do all of this while maintaining the integrity our industry is known for.
This section of the AGA website serves as a one-stop shop for resources and information related to gaming industry regulatory reform, why it’s necessary and how we can achieve it. The site will be updated regularly to reflect current activities and new resources available on the issue. Click on the links below for:
- An overview of the AGA’s mission on regulatory reform
- A welcome letter from AGA Chairman Dick Haddrill, president, CEO and director of Bally Technologies, on why regulatory reform is needed
- Resources to help you learn more about the issue, including the AGA’s recent white paper, a glossary of key terms and various presentations related to regulatory reform
- A newsroom including opinion pieces, examples of regulatory reform in the news and links to issues of the AGA’s Gaming Regulatory Update newsletter
- A list of upcoming events where regulatory reform will be a key topic
- State-by-state information including links to state regulations, key contact information, and charts that identify key reform priorities for each state
Want to stay up-to-date on all the latest regulatory reform news from the AGA? Follow the AGA on Twitter and Facebook for real-time updates.